Sunday 8 September 2013

Adventure 2.0

"Culture shock is the personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, a move between social environments, or simply travel to another type of life". Wikipedia, 2013.

Still fresh from my New York adventure, there was barely time to rest in the UK before I was back at Heathrow for my flight to Bangkok. Over the next 4 months in the 'Land of Smiles', I will be completing my MBA studies, writing a dissertation and immersing myself within Thai culture.

One of the first presentations we had in New York was about culture shocks. Since culture shocks are in abundance at the moment, I have learnt that it is best to ride with them and make the most out of each opportunity, rather than lust for what you know and have experienced before.

ummed and ahhed about blogging in Thailand, until I came to the conclusion that it is to much of an opportunity to not document what I will be seeing and experiencing. After all, I now have a file of memories from my New York blog

I am not sure that I will get to blog about every day, if my 15,000 word dissertation consumes my life like my undergraduate one ended up doing. That is not to say that I will not give it a good go!

An 11 hour flight now stands between South East Asia and I.

The 'Lee Lads' saying goodbye 

Interesting fact

Bangkok is the abbreviated version of the full ceremonial name:

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

or...

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahodilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

and stands for...

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment